Skip to main content

[P3] Create a Pitch to Communicate an Idea to a Client

 

LO2 - Be able to create a proposal and pitch for an original media product based on a given brief. 

Powerpoint for my Script



















Script for My Pitch


 

Hello everyone. As a response to the client brief recently put out regarding a new soap opera for the BBC, we would like to propose an idea for a new soap opera called ‘No Body No Crime’. 

 

During the initial idea process we went through blue-sky thinking and more detailed mind maps to discover what ideas would fit the brief the best and how best to develop these. Our original blue-sky thinking developed ideas regarding a school, love triangles and a disappearance. We have furthered this within a mind map to show the starting of character development, the location and the way we have started to combine the soap opera idea into a hybrid genre with crime.

 

Overall, after this idea consideration the general synopsis of ‘No Body No Crime’ is a British soap opera set in a small English town called ‘Evermore’. It follows the lives of Este, Danielle and Taylor as Este finds out her boyfriend has been cheating on her with one of her best friends. She mysteriously disappears one night, and her friends are convinced that John made her disappear and they decide to get revenge on him. This makes the soap opera quickly turn into a crime like soap with a mystery of whodunnit. The characters that feature the most within my soap opera are profiled as such:

 

Este is a popular character, the pretty and friendly one of the group who has friends elsewhere and lights up a room. John was lucky to have Este yet pushed his luck by cheating on her. She has brunette long hair and is tall. 

John is much shorter, a dirty blonde average looking boy who has a easily changing personality and several enemies.

He cheated on Este with Alana, her original best friend, slightly two faced and obsessed with social media and the image she gives off. 

Taylor is supportive, the friend that is always there - blonde, tall with blue eyes. She is calm and collected.

Danielle is the suspicious one within the friendship group, she never seemed to like John and her suspicious prove to be true. She is sarcastic and mildly rude but kind at heart.

 

 

But what makes this special? What is going to set this aside from every other soap opera and make it more appealing to the younger audience. Our unique selling point for this show is that it combined the hybrid genre to add an element of crime drama into the typical soap. This pioneering aspect will make it significantly more appealing with people age 15-24 yet still meet the brief by following typical soap opera conventions. Furthermore, to prove that this will be effective and a successful soap opera I have taken ideas from secondary research into other soap operas such as ‘Hollyoaks’ and ‘Emmerdale’ which are set in a small English town and typically follow a group of people who all know each other. I have taken inspiration from this to also set my soap opera within a small town with a similar group of people. Within my own research using an online survey with people age 15-24-year olds I found that disappearance cheating and murder along with the crime genre are significantly more popular with people age 15-24-year olds compared to other story lines such as a love triangle and cheating – therefore making my soap idea for successful and popular among the target audience.

 

To display my idea for my pitch even further, I have wrote a sample script and storyboard in order to display how my soap opera would potentially look when produced and how the target audience would perceive it. It follows as such:

 

NO BODY NO CRIME

     S01E01

 

INT. INEZ’ ITALIAN RESTAURANT – NIGHT 

 

TAYLOR, DANIELLE and ESTE are sat around a table located in a booth, waiting for the food while sipping glasses of red wine. They attend Inez’ Italian every Tuesday night and it is located within the centre of town. It is dimly lit with a comfortable atmosphere

 

TAYLOR

 

What’s up Est? You’ve been acting

odd recently… quieter than usual.

 

ESTE

 

It’s John, it doesn’t feel the same 

anymore, not like it did when we were

still at school.

 

DANIELLE

 (light-heartedly)

Ha-ha – the good old days, do you

remember when we-

 

TAYLOR

(interrupting DANIELLE, 

slightly under her breath)

 

Dani, not now. We’re worried 

about Este remember! Est?

 

ESTE

I bet I’m just being overdramatic.

That’s what Alana always says anyway.

 

DANIELLE

Wait, how come she isn’t here?

 

ESTE

That’s what I’m worried about. She 

said she couldn’t come tonight and to

be completely honest with you, I’m quite

glad she isn’t here.

 

TAYLOR

Este that’s not fair, you’ve been friends

for years – don’t you think that’s a bit

harsh?

 

 

ESTE

Tay, you don’t understand. There’s

something wrong, I just know it. John

is acting suspicious – there’s receipts

for jewellery lying around but it’s not

mine – nor is the merlot left round his 

mouth.

 

DANIELLE

So what you think he’s cheating on you?

Wouldn’t surprise me.

 (muttered)

You know I never trusted him.

 

ESTE

That’s not even the worst part Dani,

I think he’s cheating on me with Alana

and I don’t even know who I’m more annoyed at.

(crying)

What am I supposed to do? I’ve known them 

both for years – I can’t even believe they 

would do this.

 

DANIELLE

I can. I never trusted John – he just

seems off, like someone you can’t trust.

someone that would break your heart that’s

for sure. You’re too good for him Est.

 

TAYLOR

John? Yes. But Alana? I never thought she

would do anything like that?

 

ESTE

It’s got to be her. I don’t know any

one else who it could be.

 

DANIELLE

 

So what are you going to do about

it? You can’t ignore it forever Este.

 

 

TAYLOR

Do whatever you think is best Este.

 

ESTE

I think I’m going to call him out. 

I’ll deal with Alana later.

 

CUT TO: 


I have investigated the potential costs for my soap opera and worked out that it will cost around £5000-£10000 a day for filming multiple episodes however I understand that the BBC may be able to contribute actors and other staff that would reduce costs.

 

Thank you for listening to my pitch for ‘No Body No Crime’, I hope you enjoyed it and would consider my idea for the BBC’s new soap opera.

 

Comments