Skip to main content

[D1] Discuss the Client Considerations for the Creation of the Product from the Pitch

 

LO3 - Be able to pitch ideas on a proposed media product and respond to questions.

When creating my pitch for my soap opera for the BBC, I created an original idea for the soap opera ' No Body No Crime' - aimed at 15-24 year olds in order to meet the considerations of the client brief. Within the creation of my soap opera in the future, there are aspects of the client brief and client considerations that will help the creation of the soap opera.

My original idea for 'No Body No Crime' meets the considerations of the client brief firstly by targeting people age 15-24 year olds rather than older audiences. I did this by using primary research in the form of a questionnaire in order to find out what would be the most appealing for the target audience. Within this, I concluded that they find topics such as cheating and murder mystery more interesting than typical soap opera topics which tend to be aimed towards an older audience with more middle aged characters.

Furthermore, I have also met the client considerations of the brief by sticking to the core values of the BBC as a PBS such as education and entertaining the audience. I have done this within my soap opera by making sure that several characters and storylines occur at the same time - meeting the client considerations by sticking to the several soap opera conventions as well as keeping the storylines fast paced and entertaining. In order to stick to the core value of education at the same time, my storylines will have key moral and meanings to the story behind them. For example, within my original storyline proposed for Este's disappearance and Este's finding out of John's cheating on her it shows a key underlying message of how friends should always have each others backs - keeping an educational message.

After developing my idea with the client brief considerations in mind with them met, I further changed certain aspects of the idea in order to meet areas of client questions. Originally my storyline only consisted of 3 main characters - with another two on the side. However, after client questioning, this would not create a soap with longevity. In order to achieve longevity, I chose to add more characters such as Bella and Ellie along with creating storylines which will make the soap continue naturally for longer. In order to make sure that an audience remains interested within my soap I will make sure that storylines towards my target audience will be included such as teen pregnancy and mental health. In an attempt to grow my soap further I have also added other characters which vary in age such as parents to appeal to a wider audience that the original client brief.

I have also changed other things to my idea in order to meet the client questions asked regarding how the town of 'Evermore' looks. To create more of a visual aspect to my idea for my soap opera, I have responded to feedback given and questions asked regarding how the town of 'Evermore', where my soap opera is set, looks, feels and is laid out. I have determined that 'Evermore' is a quaint little town, inspired by Taylor Swift's album 'Evermore' as well as taking inspiration from it's layout from other soap operas such as 'Hollyoaks' and 'Neighbours' - making sure it follows the typical soap opera convention as well as appealing to the target audience in order to meet the client brief. Furthermore, I have considered the client's questions regarding how 'Evermore' is set out and decided that it is a small town, surrounded by countryside and consisting of a small shop, a pub, an Italian restaurant and a line of houses. 'Evermore' has cobbled streets with a canal running through the town centre. On the outskirts lies the school and abandoned warehouses of what the town used to be like before jobs were lost. It is not rich but certainly not poor either. By considering what the client wanted, I have been able to change my view in order to show how the town will look, helping to find a suitable filming location and set to be built.

On the other hand, despite certain client considerations there is elements of my soap opera idea that I chose to keep the same to make it stand out and be different from all other soaps. Firstly, I decided to keep the hybrid genre of crime and soap opera present within my idea. Although the considerations of client brief ask for a soap opera, meaning my product should follow soap opera conventions, I chose to alter this slightly following other conventions as well such as conventions of a crime drama or murder mystery. I decided to do this following my questionnaire into the target audience which determined that overall, 15-24 year olds prefer the genre of crime, drama and actions much more than soaps. By combining these together it would mean that the soap opera created would be even more successful and would draw in an audience where other soap operas would not. While this does not fully meet the client considerations, this is crucial to keep in order to make the product stand out and appeal to the target audience. When ensuring the longevity of my soap, while other storyline that are typical of both soap operas and young people are included, a crime aspect must be kept in order to maintain the audience that are viewing 'No Body No Crime'.

Furthermore, in order to meet the client considerations regarding sticking to the core values of the BBC, as well as considering the time at which the proposed soap opera will be shown, I have chosen to keep the murder aspect of my show as it is crucial to be attractive and appealing to the target audience. However, I will not change this aspect but I have decided to change certain things such as the amount of graphic violence shown to make it suitable for both the time it will be shown at and the platform it is based on. To stick to the BBC's guidelines of education, and due to the show being on before the watershed, helpline numbers for distressing issues should be shown at the end of an episode in order to ensure the target audience still want to view the programme and are not overly distressed by it.

In conclusion, during the client considerations of the brief and questions asked post-pitch, I have decided to change certain aspects of my idea for 'No Body No Crime' so that within production and creation of it, it will have longevity and a location idea to be created. However, despite some other client considerations, I have chosen to keep certain things the same - such as the crime genre aspect - as I believe this is crucial for the success of the soap opera within the target audience.

Comments